Turkey: About 11,500 GSM numbers directed to ByLock

The legal status of nearly 11,500 mobile phone users, who were "directed" to coup-linked Bylock app, will be reconsidered, prosecutors said Wednesday.

Ankara Chief Prosecutor's office said 11,480 GSM number users were found to have been directed to ByLock app "without their will".

Yuksel Kocaman, Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor, shed light on the probe involving users of ByLock application.

Nearly a thousand people, who were found to have been directed to ByLock through Mor Beyin [Purple Brain] application [designed by FETO terrorist group], have been in jail in different provinces and will be released unless there is another proof against them, he said.

He said Kemalettin Cengiz Erbakirci, who is a former employee of Scientific and Technological Research Council (TUBITAK) and FETO-linked fugitive, had made the software and fled Turkey four days after the July 15 defeated coup attempt in 2016.

He also said the prosecutor's office issued an arrest warrant and launched an investigation against him.

The ByLock, an encrypted smartphone application, was used by FETO members before and during last year's defeated coup attempt.

FETO and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen orchestrated the defeated coup of July 15, 2016, which left 250 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.

Ankara also accuses FETO of being behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police, and judiciary.

Source: Anadolu Agency