Over 5,000 FETO suspects to stand trial in December

A total of 5,280 suspects will stand trial in December in Turkey to face charges on being linked with the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO), which attempted to overthrow the government on July 15, 2016.

FETO and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen orchestrated the defeated coup, which left 250 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.

Almost 1,710 defendants will appear before the court in 32 different cases in 13 provinces for their links to FETO.

Nearly 3,570 defendants in seven provinces will stand trial in 30 cases for their roles in the coup bid; the accusations include being a member of an armed terrorist organization, attempting to overthrow Turkish Republic and the constitutional order, and committing murder on the night of July 15, 2016.

The cases include three major trials relating to last year's attempted coup -- the Bosphorus Bridge case, the Akinci air base trial, and the Presidential Palace/TRT case.

Istanbul's Bosphorus Bridge, which was renamed the July 15 Martyrs' Bridge, was seized by soldiers on the coup night and became a focus for those resisting the putschists in Istanbul.

At least 34 people were gunned down on the bridge before the rebellious troops surrendered as the coup bid crumbled. The incident has led to 143 soldiers standing trial.

At Akinci, an air base to the north of the capital Ankara -- renamed Murted after the defeated coup -- coup plotters had established a command center to coordinate attacks, including fighter jets that attacked the parliament and Presidential Palace.

Almost 221 defendants will stand trial for their roles at Akinci air base.

Some of the most senior plotters are said to have been at the base, and it was also where Chief of General Staff Gen. Hulusi Akar was held hostage. This trial has seen 486 defendants, mostly former military officers, face allegations that they orchestrated the coup on behalf of FETO leader Fetullah Gulen.

The palace case involving 534 defendants and relates to attacks on the Presidential Palace and the offices of state broadcaster TRT in Ankara on the night of the coup.

After FETO -- which Turkey accuses of having plotted last year's deadly defeated coup of July 15 -- was officially tied to the case in April, 85 defendants, including former prosecutor Zekeriya Oz, who is at large currently, will appear before the court on Dec. 8.

A 120-page indictment said soldiers and police involved in the Dink murder later played an active role in the defeated coup.

Source: Anadolu Agency